He Matariki Teen Parent School is a school with a difference!
Everything is designed to work around your schedule and your needs as a teen parent or pregnant teenager; with smaller class groups and one-on-one flexible learning options. We specialise in courses that interest you, timetables that allow you to nurse your baby or make your prenatal check-ups, support for those times when parenting and learning together seems overwhelming. At He Matariki we make it possible to keep your baby close by while learning, giving you extra support and encouragement right when you need it.
Why choose He Matariki Teen Parent School?
- Teachers are highly qualified in their subjects and can teach you things you think you are no good at!
- Supportive environment with other teen parents, we understand your challenges
- Hauora: your well-being is a priority both in and out of school
- Expert support available, for all aspects of your life
- Small group and one-on-one learning
- You earn credits when you learn career skills for life
- Whanāu atmosphere with high standards
- Flexible programmes
- Enrol anytime of the year and graduate anytime of the year
- Activities with children e.g. swimming
- Optional activities eg fitness classes, cross fit, trips
- Drivers Licence
- Childcare centre right next door – your child gets an education at the same time
- School nurse, transport to appointments
- Access to doctors, dental, sexual health and family planning clinics, childbirth education classes, midwives, counselling
- Access to the Te Ora Hou Social Workers Team
He Kākano Early Childcare Centre
He Kākano Early Childcare Centre nurtures our students’ children, allowing you to stay close to your child while you study. You can continue breastfeeding and visit your child as needed. Stay connected and relax knowing your child is well cared for and happy right next door.
Tamariki learn at the same time as you.
Maia House offers accommodation for pregnant or parenting teenage mums in a safe and caring environment.
Free! Transport, stationery, NZQA fees, childcare and more – we’re here to help
- We work to your interests, at your pace and become partners in your learning
- Our timetables are flexible, designed with you and for you based on interests, prior learning and career ideas. Easily changed to match your developing goals and interests!
- We offer Pre NCEA, NCEA levels 1, 2, 3 and University Entrance. We offer both achievement standards and unit standards
- We offer National Certificates and Level 2 NCEA with Vocational Pathways Awards
- Our teaching style is different. We mentor and support you to achieve goals: we WANT you to succeed!
- We offer a variety of subjects and courses – and if there is something else that interests you, we can get it
- We can support you online with your learning even on occasions when you can’t make it here
- We offer achievement standards in university approved subjects for University Entrance and a tertiary pathway
- We offer UE preparation, to get you ready for Uni and academic study
- We celebrate success at prizegiving and graduation
- We have scholarships available to help with further study
- Get the best education possible: check out our most recent ERO review here
He Matariki also offers a range of extra courses, experiences and opportunities for teen parents including:
- Drivers licence
- Work Ready
- Short STAR courses – learning in a tertiary setting with tertiary providers e.g. Barista, First Aid, Communication Skills, Forklift, Travel and Tourism
- Budgeting and Money Management
- Fun activities with children eg children’s swimming
- Electives – opportunities to explore interests such as art, sewing, cooking, crossfit and music
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
But most of all? We GET teen parents – it’s what we specialise in. Come by and see for yourself!
Ready to get started?
We would love to hear from you.